Tuesday 25 March 2014

Austria Winter Wonderland St Wolfgang Sunday 02 February 2014


Here we go again, the start of another busy (hopefully) year, and my first tour of the year to Austria for our Winter Wonderland trip. This year we are staying in the lakeside town of St Wolfgang.
Winter trips are hard to fill so this has been priced on going with a lower number and indeed we only have 19 passengers although it was 21 at one point with a couple of cancellations.
This time last year there was too much snow in Austria but there hasn’t been that much this year and we are hopeful all will be white when we arrive! I hate the snow in England but love it where it should be! However much snow does fall the roads are always kept clear and driving is a pleasure.
I am taking Brian with me this year which makes everything easier from my point of view especially if we do have a lot of snow!



I meet Brian at the yard at 05:15 and soon we are driving to Petersfield for our first pick and a departure time of 06:00. We then have a pick up in Liphook and finally Milford before going on our happy way.
Our channel crossing is by shuttle and our booked departure time is 10:20. I have allowed plenty of time to reach Folkestone because the Hindhead tunnel was supposed to be shut this weekend for maintenance but the works were postponed a couple of days ago.
After a stop at Clackett Lane on the way down we arrive at Folkestone early enough for some breakfast and to catch the 09:20 train. Happy with that!
We arrive in Calais at 10:55 (local time) to be met by heavy rain but this soon clears for a good journey through to Brussels services for our lunch stop.
Most countries through Europe charge for toilets and the Belgians have followed the Germans by installing turnstiles at the toilets where you pay €0.50 to enter and as you go through you receive a ticket worth €0.50 to spend in the restaurant or shop.
After my bowl of soup I realise pretty quickly I need the loo only to find I have left my euro’s at home! I remember that my friend Sarah gave me a euro coin the other day and I still had it in my pocket! Thanks Sarah!
From here we drive through Belgium into Luxembourg and make a last stop before arriving at our overnight hotel in Kaiserslautern. Luxembourg is a good place to stop as the fuel is cheap (about a £1.08 a litre), cigarettes and tobacco are cheap (Brian is buying for his neighbour) and the loos are free!
At the start of the day I wanted to arrive in Kaiserslautern between 18:30 and 19:00 and we arrive at 18:30. The journey today has been good with no hold ups and decent weather all the way once we had left Calais and am well pleased to be on time.
Our hotel, the Dorint Kaiserslautern, is a very comfortable hotel with excellent food and a place we have used many times before.


No comments: