Tuesday 25 March 2014

Trier Christmas Market Sunday 15 December 2013

I have an early breakfast before booking a taxi to take me to the coach park. My poor little bus is all on his own when I go to pick him up!


















It is cold again today but nice and bright and we have the promise of a decent day ahead with visits to Cochem and Bernkastel –Kues, two lovely towns on the Mosel River.
I drive via the motorway to Cochem and arrive as the market is just opening at 11:00. After dropping in the bus station I go and park alongside the river before walking back to have a look around.
The Christmas Market is located between the bus station and the entrance to the town which is not a big space but this market doesn’t need a lot of space as it is tiny! I have been here before many times and don’t remember the market being this small! There are only a handful of stalls though there is a large marquee with a cafe and some stands selling goods inside.
I don’t think the size of the market really matters here as the sun is out and it is beautiful along the river especially as you look back towards the town with the castle towering overhead. Not every shop is open but there are a few, as well as all of the cafes and restaurants. It is a nice town to gently stroll around and admire the old buildings.
I decide to go into a nice looking cafe for a coffee and guess who is sat in there? Yep my little mate Dot and Nicola! I sit with them and enjoy a coffee before taking my leave and walking back to the coach.
From here I take the road that runs alongside the river for the drive to Bernkastel. It is a beautiful ride and in places prettier than the Rhine I think. Having the sun out really is a Brucie Bonus!
After about an hour and a half of gorgeous scenery we arrive in Bernkastel which is even gorgeous!
Situated on the banks of the Mosel this charming small town is well worth a stop and has one of my favourite Christmas Markets with its stalls all arranged along the streets of the town centre. As you first walk into the town you come across the most delightful twisted and odd shaped buildings and on the face of one building a large advent calendar can be seen.
I park on the quayside close to the centre and say goodbye to my flock for a couple of hours. I have a stroll around this lovely place before going back to sit on the bus and watch the world go by.
I want to give everyone a glass of Gluwhein and a mince pie so when I was strolling about I kept a lookout for a suitable place to buy the wine. Before we came away I bought enough mince pies for fifty and a 5 litre bottle of water. I emptied the water so I could use the container and now it is clean and fresh.
As soon as I have most of the group back I go off in search of warm wine! I go to a market stall I had seen earlier and ask if I could buy enough gluwhein to fill my container. The lady takes it off me and says wine will be too hot. I tell her it will be okay as I will serve it very soon but she is adamant she won’t fill it and now says the container is dirty! What! I have only just finished emptying it of still natural mineral water. And from Waitrose as well!!
Oh well she is losing out on about €40/€50 worth of business in one go!
Nearby is a small cafe with a one Chinese lady working. I ask her the same question and she cannot be more helpful if I can wait ten minutes. No problems as she starts making more wine to go with the wine she already has.
“How much will this cost me?” I ask
“€20” she says!
“I’m happy with that!”
Eventually my container is filled and she even puts some fruit into it as well. She has done an incredible job and I think she has done herself by only charging €20 so I give her €30 which she is pleased and thankful for.
Back on the coach I enlist Nicola’s help to hand out cups and mince pies while I walk through the coach serving Bernkastel’s finest gluwhein! And in the background I have put some Christmas music on, how festive is that!!
I really enjoy doing this as it makes people happy and is a nice surprise for them.
We leave here in good spirits for our journey back to Trier again following the motorway but have a couple of hiccups on the way back with roads closed. The first time we are sent on a diversion that isn’t too far out of our way but the second one is a little more disconcerting as we are taken away from the river, it is getting darker and the road is winding around as if going up an Austrian mountain! In the end I see a sign for the motorway and follow this where we join the motorway about twenty miles from Trier. No problem!
Dinner this evening is once again in the main restaurant and I am a bit hungrier tonight!


No comments: