Tuesday 4 March 2014

Thursford Christmas Spectacular Saturday 22 November 2013

Friday 22 November 2013
Breakfast is good as everyone seems to be tucking into the buffet well. No rushing this morning as we are not leaving until 10:00.
At the appointed time I drive the short distance into the centre of Norwich. It should only take 5-10 minutes but I miss my turning and have to drive by the football ground and come into the centre another way!
I drop by the castle and will be back at 14:00 to pick them up. I really like Norwich as I think it has a great shopping centre that is not in one big mall with most of the main shops outside. There is also a large market in the main square as well as, I think I’m right in saying, the country’s largest Marks and Spencers!
I go off looking to park in a lay by I know between the football ground and the centre so I can go for a stroll around the shops. I am beaten to the parking spaces by other like minded drivers so go off in search of some parking.
I end up parking at the football ground and close to a retail outlet shopping area with a big Morrison’s, PC World etc. I have a coffee in Morrison’s but no lunch as we are having a late lunch at the hotel at 15:00.
It is a nice sunny but cold day and ideal for a few hours shopping.
We are back at the hotel by 14;20 and at 15:00 are sat back in the restaurant being fed!
At 16:15 we are back on the bus and heading towards the famous Christmas Spectacular in Thursford, an hour away. Once we leave Norwich it is a very dark drive through the country with no street lighting. I hope I find my turning!
The final road into Thursford is down a narrow country lane and I’m hoping to arrive just before the matinee show has finished.
We arrive at 17:15 just as the other show has finished!! Good timing! The narrow lanes are okay when confronted with a car coming at you but are a little tighter when a big bus is approaching!
Once in the car park I drop the passengers off, wait for the final few coaches to depart and then park by the entrance. As soon as you step off the coach all you can hear is Christmas music and it does make you smile. It must be one of the best Christmas atmospheres you can witness in England. I call it happy music and it makes me happy!































I don’t go into the show although, I did go last time and it was fantastic, preferring to be boring and sit on the coach working! I do have a walk through the Fantasy Land and that is indeed fantastic!
Thursford is a steam museum for nine months of the year but for this time of year it is given the Christmas makeover with the main part of the museum housing the stage and various shops and cafes/bars. The seating is arranged through the building amongst some of the steam engines and the large steam carousel. Fantasy Land is in another building and is a magical walk through some of the most delightful scenery you can wish to see. The characters are all brightly coloured and lit and set amongst many steam engines that are dressed for the part. It is hard to explain how lovely it is but hope the pictures will help.
The passengers come out raving about the show saying they have never seen anything like it before. That is exactly how I felt when I saw it. I don’t know if I have said it yet but it is fantastic!!
We are away by 22:00 and back at the hotel by 23:00 with a bunch of happy bunnies!


No comments: