Sunday 20 April 2014

Mystery Weekend Friday 07 - Monday 10 March 2014

Friday 07 March 2014
Off on one of our popular Mystery Tours today but where to?!
I only have two pick up points, Liphook and Petersfield, and then I’m away. A coffee stop at Clackett Lane services shouldn’t give too much away!
As I pull into the service area there is a VOSA man sitting in his van. As soon as I stop he is out and walking over to me to check either the vehicle or me or both!
He has a look at my license in the windscreen and as the last people are getting off I tell him we only had the coach MOT’d on Monday so everything should be okay.
“You’re one of the good guys” He said “I don’t need to check anything today. I know who I want to look out for!” And with that he walked back to his van.
It is nice to know our record with VOSA is good and we must have a green light. They operate on a traffic light system with red being bad and green good. Every time you fail an MOT or are pulled over or checked and problems are found then that would count against you.
Half an hour later we are on our way towards Dartford and the Thames crossing.
When we set out this morning I asked for everybody to have a guess on where we are going and to write their guess down on a piece of paper and hand it to me at our morning stop.
I have all manner of destinations but unfortunately none are correct! At least the way I am going some will have a run for their money!
We drive through the Dartford Tunnel and into Essex stopping for lunch in the surprisingly good town of Romford. And the sun comes out for us as I drop them in the centre and drive around the corner to park.
I go for a stroll and some lunch in a pie and mash shop I know. I am not really hungry enough for a full meal but cannot resist some pie, mash and liquor! Dot would be proud!
After eating too much I go off in search of a Next where I need to buy some shoes and end up buying shoes and trousers.
I pick them up at 14:00 and drive back over the Dartford Bridge! That confuses them!
We head into Kent and I go to Folkestone, driving right through the town and onto The Leas high above the sea.
At The Leas I stop outside of a hotel and tell them about the food and entertainment. As I hear the click of seat belts releasing and some have even stood up I tell them that if they ever came here they would know the score and promptly drive off!
Driving along the coast we reach the town of Hythe and our home for the next three nights, the Imperial Hythe Hotel.
Located on the seafront this is an imposing and swish looking hotel. The hotel is in its own grounds and has its very own golf course! How good is that!
We are greeted by a member of staff who explains about meal times etc and then takes them all into a lounge for tea/coffee while their cases are being taken to their rooms.
The hotel is lovely inside and has been recently decorated judging by the smell of the place. New carpets that’s what I can smell!
In my room I have a couple of hours to kill before dinner so decide to go for a walk along the seafront and through the town. It is a bit windy now but a pleasant stroll nonetheless. The town is lovely and only a ten minute walk from the hotel.
As I walk through the town I am on the lookout for two things. A pub that will show the Chelsea/Tottenham game tomorrow and an Indian for dinner afterwards! I found a pub in between the sea and town that shows football and am spoilt for choice in the town with four Indian restaurants that I found!
Dinner is at 19:00 and the service is very good, I have never seen so many staff serving! The menu is nice but the portions are a little small although extremely tasty and are displayed on the plate very nicely.
I had a glass of wine with my dinner and was a little surprised to see it cost £8.50!

Saturday 08 March
Breakfast is an excellent buffet and all passengers seem happy. No not seem but are happy!
We have another beautiful sunny day ahead of us as we depart the hotel at 09:45.
I have arranged a visit to the Battle of Britain memorial between Folkestone and Dover but don’t tell anyone until we are here!
This is a fantastic memorial that will be even better in the summer when the new visitor centre will be open. I really like it here and think the lost airmen of the Battle of Britain would be proud of their memorial. We stay here for an hour before driving to Canterbury. On the way I drove up to Dover Castle and then beyond to the National Trust area at the top of the White Cliffs. I only wanted to stop for a photo of the ferries in the harbour beneath us but baulked at paying £7.50 for the privilege!
From here we made our way to Canterbury and its famous cathedral.
We arrive here at midday and I decide to drop and park in the coach park as opposed to the drop off point in the centre. It is only a short, easy walk from the coach park and there are toilets here, and I can walk them to the centre.
I walk them the five minutes to the beginning of the centre and then let them loose! I have a stroll, buy a paper and then walk back to the bus and have my lunch in the Sainsbury’s adjacent to the coach park.
Most of the group are back before our 15:00 departure time and after serving a few drinks on the coach we are away and back in Hythe by 15:40. Plenty of time for a stroll into town or along the promenade in the still very warm sun. The hotel is busy when we return with a wedding on but there is plenty of space for me to park in the lower car park by the golf course.
After a quick wash and change I go for a stroll to watch the football at the pub (The Hope Inn) I passed yesterday.

















Chelsea beat Spurs easily four nil and would love to have a bit of banter on the phone but there is no signal here!
The game is on Sky but the Sky in the Hope is not your usual Sky, it is Italian! All the adverts at half time are Italian and Gary Neville is nowhere to be seen!
After the game I walk into town but cannot make my mind up on where to eat. I’m also very tired so end up having fish and chips as I walk back to the hotel. Delicious.

Sunday 09 March
We are going on a steam train ride today. A little steam train!
From Hythe runs the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway a miniature steam railway that crosses Romney Marsh through some pretty lonely countryside that is home to some great wildlife.
We leave the hotel at 10:00 and five minutes later I’m at the station. We have some time in the shop before our 10:30 departure.
It is another hot sunny day which has brought many people out and our train has to have some extra carriages put on to cope.
I take pictures as the passengers squeeze into the tiny carriages and with a whistle and puff of smoke Hercules pulls the carriages on their way to Dungeness.
Once the train has left I drive to Dungeness to await my folk. When I arrive it is very busy with lots of walkers and families enjoying the sunshine. As well as the many cars there are also two vintage busses.
Dungeness is a little isolated and is well known for its power station, lighthouse and railway. We are in the shadow of the enormous power station and surrounded by unusual fishermen’s cottages and small fishing boats. The lighthouse isn’t open but the cafe by the station is so when the train arrives at 11:37 I give them all plenty of time to grab a coffee before we depart.
The road in and out of Dungeness has some of the biggest potholes I have seen so it is a slow journey until the main road.
From here I drive across this pretty county to the market town of Tenterden where we stop for our lunch. It is still very sunny as I park in the coach park and give them all a couple of hours to enjoy this charming little town and have some lunch. I go for a stroll to buy a paper and then return to the lovely tea rooms by the coach where I enjoy tea and homemade scone.
Leaving at 15:00 we once again drive across country to Hythe arriving back at the hotel fifty minutes later, still bathed in sunshine.
Dinner is at 19:00 and the fish I had is excellent.
After dinner I ask about porterage in the morning and the young receptionist writes down the times I want the cases brought down to the coach.

Monday 10 March
I want to load the cases at 08:00 so have the coach outside the hotel entrance at 07:30. The passengers have been asked to put their cases outside of their rooms by 07:30.
The idea is to load all of the cases before my breakfast. I normally ask people to bring their cases down as it is a lot quicker and easier but thought it would okay here as the staff have been excellent.
Wrong!
At 07:50 I ask the girls at reception if everything is okay because some of the cases should be here by now. No porter!
I am a little annoyed as they have seen me sitting about waiting with coach right outside the door but nobody said anything. In the end they collar a young lad from the restaurant who hasn’t collected luggage before!!
He does a good job but it all comes down in dribs and drabs and seems to take an age. I finally have the cases loaded at 08:40 so it is a quick breakfast before departing at 09:00.
I am not going on any motorways today as we drive along the coast road first stopping for an hour in a very quiet Hastings and then onto a busier Brighton for lunch.
It has been a good day again (apart from cases!) and everyone has enjoyed today and the whole weekend.
I am back in the local area by 17:00.
I have really enjoyed this weekend and was impressed with the Hythe Imperial Hotel. We are coming back here in May for a five day holiday and would be more than happy to return.








No comments: