Thursday 22 May 2014

Dublin Friday 21 March 2014

An early start for my drive to Dublin today.
Am up at 02:30!! Why?!
I am in the yard by 03:40 and after sorting the coach out and loading all of my stuff I drive away at 04:00 to Portsmouth for my first pick up.
We don’t normally bring the coach this far to pick up but I have a group of 24 from the local retired police force who have booked as a group with Mike Haycocks. Twenty of them are joining the bus at Farlington Services on the outskirts of Portsmouth.
I have used a local company, Wheeldrive, to do the picks ups which are around Portsmouth, Fareham, Gosport and Stubbington. They may be a bit dearer than a local firm due to all of the dead mileage but at this time of morning I wanted someone I could trust. They have a couple of mini-buses doing the pick ups.
I arrive at Farlington at 04:30 and expect my passengers between now and 05:00. Stuart turns up at 04:45 with the first eight passengers but the second one doesn’t arrive until 05:10. A little late but no problems as I have allowed a bit of time for such things.
The next, and final, pick up is in Petersfield and as I arrive at 05:30 all of the remaining passengers are there waiting for me. I doesn’t take long to load folk and luggage and we are away by 05:40, only ten minutes down.
It is a long drive today up to Holyhead in North Wales where our ferry sails from. The last time I drove this way was about nine years ago and the journey took 6½ hours plus stops.
Seeing as our ferry departs at 14:10 it is best I get a move on!
My first stop is at Chievely services on the A34 north of Newbury. We arrive here at 06:45 and stop for fifteen minutes. I serve a few drinks before we rejoin the A34 north.
It is a boring drive today up the M40, M42 and M6 and seems to drag a bit, probably because I am tired.
Our next stop is 2¼ from Chievely at Stafford services. I am pleased to have got this far as we have passed the possible traffic congestion of Birmingham and are well on our way now.
I chose to use the toll road at Birmingham to avoid any traffic problems but was a little surprised to find it costing me £11.00! Last year I paid £6.70. It must be dearer at rush hour times!
We carry on north on the M6 before joining the M56 towards Chester and North Wales. An hour after leaving Stafford I have one last comfort stop at Chester services. I stop here because the motorway is about to end and we then drive the rest of the way on A roads and I’m not sure if there are suitable places to stop with a group of 43.
It is a pretty ride from Chester passing alongside the sea and through some lovely scenery. The last time I came this way once we crossed onto the Isle of Anglesey the road was mainly single lane so I am pleasantly surprised to find they have made the whole road up to Holyhead dual carriageway.
When I set off this morning my aim was to reach Holyhead at 13:00 and we arrive on the dot.
I am pleased to be here as am feeling quite tired now and am looking forward to a kip on the boat.
There are a couple of other busses here and a few cars and trucks but is not going to be a busy crossing. It might be a little bumpy though as the wind has been very strong driving here.
We are sailing on Irish Ferries ship Ulysses which is an enormous ferry.
We are loaded next to the lift, as we have a wheelchair on board,  and close to Ruby stairs. It shouldn’t be hard to find the coach when we arrive in Dublin as the massive car deck is mostly empty on our side save a few lorries and the two other coaches.
Once on board I make my way to reception to claim my free cabin key and the to one of the cafes for my free sandwich! I could have anything to eat but don’t want too much as I shall enjoy a nice meal later.
My cabin is light and airy and is on the outside so I have a good view of the choppy sea!
I end up sleeping a good couple of hours before waking with a start at 17:10. The ferry is due to dock at 17:25!
I have been to our hotel, The Mespil, a couple of times before but can’t remember the way so will rely on my good old sat nav to help me. It should only take me 20 minutes.
We drive off the boat at 17:40 and once we weave our way out of the docks head for the city centre.
Once out of the docks I come to a junction with the sat nav telling me to go straight on down a residential street for about 200 yards. There is a sign as I enter the road saying no lorries over 7.5 tons but as it has no mention of coaches/busses I drive down there. About half way down there is a tight squeeze between a couple of cars that are parked on yellow lines. If they were parked correctly I would sail through. Anyway I can get through but have to take it slow. As I’m doing this and old man crosses the road ahead of me shaking his hand in the air and saying something to me. I wind down my window thinking he may be about to give me some helpful information about where I’m going.
“It’s seven and a half tons you fooking arsehole!!”
“Oh! Sorry but it said lorries”




“It’s seven and a half tons you fooking arsehole!” As he wanders away trying to bang his hand on the side of the bus!  I think he may of had a long lunch in the pub.
Welcome to Dublin!
So back following the sat nav and we are two minutes from the hotel when I come across a very low bridge that I will definitely not be able to drive under! Bum!
Luckily I can turn around and go back the way I came. As I pull back onto the road after turning a lady is walking along the pavement looking at me with a wry smile on her face. I smile back and give her a little nod as if to say “I know, I cocked up”.
It is now raining very heavily as I revert to my Dublin map to see where we are. We are never far away but a mixture of one way streets and low bridges has put us off course a little. In the end we arrive at the hotel at 18:20.
It doesn’t take long to unload everyone and their luggage and then my next problem is parking the coach as the one space by the hotel has already been taken.
I am a little concerned as I had this problem once before and it took ages to find somewhere and today I need to be off the tacho by 19:00 when my fifteen hour day will be up. Add into it a wet Friday evening and it could take a while.
I ask at reception and am told there is another bay by the hotel and also a couple along the road outside by the river. I quickly walk by where the other bus is parked but cannot find the other bay so drive off to find somewhere else. As I’m driving around the block and alongside the river on the other side to the hotel I come across a bay which could fit three coaches in. That will do for me as it is only a short walk back to the hotel and is also nearly seven o’clock.
We are staying on a bed and breakfast basis so there is no rushing about organising everyone for dinner.
Once in my room I unpack, shower and dress before going for a stroll and that much anticipated Guinness. The sleep on the boat has done me good as I feel wide awake now.
I have a walk around the block and pass a couple of pubs (aren’t they the best in Ireland) but they are packed so decide to go back to the hotel bar for a drink. The Guinness really is delicious and definitely tastes better in Ireland. Mind you it should be good at €5.00 a pint!
A couple of these bad boys later I make my way into the hotel restaurant for a meal.
I start with a type of scotch egg served with bacon and small tomatoes which was delicious and follow that with a superb Thai curry. Handsome.

I go to bed a contented chap!

No comments: